Saturday, March 29, 2014

Destination Imagination

Anne has been involved with a school club called Destination Imagination for the last two years.
This year I was the team manager (let's just say I didn't really volunteer for the position....) 
For some reason, it wasn't the easiest thing I had ever dealt with.
It could be that I'm a little bit more of a black and white thinker then I thought. 
This program promotes working collaboratively, using imagination, and solving problems.
I think it's an amazing thing.  The kids are awesome at it.
We work for 4 months or so to prepare a performance that the kids perform for judges at a tournament.

Anne's school is known for doing very well in the tournament. They take it seriously.  I was trying to remain very calm about it.  I was newbie at this.  Was feeling as if maybe I didn't do all I could. 


We made it to the tournament.  We had everything ready.  We practiced our hearts out.  THEY DID GREAT!  I  have to admit, I was a sweaty mess through the 6 minute performance.  BUT we made it. :)

We didn't stay for the award ceremony.  The day started at 8am and the ceremony was to be held at 5pm.  We all decided to head home and just wait.

The other ladies that helped me and I all thought we had a heck of a chance.

5pm came.
5:01 came.
5:05 came.
5:20 came...the phone rang.
we got fourth place.
That means we would not be heading to regionals.  The other two teams representing our school would be heading there.  We would not. 
I was totally bummed.
Totally.
More then I expected.
BUT we learned what needs to be changed for next year.  The kids had a great time, they learned from each other, and were totally cool with the results.  At the end of the day....that is what completing a project means. Not winning! 

Want to know more about destination imagination?  Read about it here.
this is the team.  the DI-NERS! :)

explaining final details to the judge

getting ready to cross the line.  do you see the line?

everything was made by them.  no adult help can be given

the whole story was based on the life of van gogh from the kids point of view. 

this is van gogh. 

the whole skit had to be acted as a comic strip.  they chose to use text bubbles to support the comic strip idea

the judges asking questions

this is mr. fishburn.  all but two students are in his class from this group.  he gave up his Saturday morning to support his kids!


No comments:

Post a Comment