Friday, September 11, 2009

Never will forget...

I remember as a kid, people would say "I remember where I was when JFK was shot, or Martin Luther King Jr." "Do you remember when, Elvis died? they would say". I could never figure it out. Why in the world would these occasions be etched into someones mind for l.i.f.e.



8 years ago today, I remember as if it was just yesterday. I was standing in the hallway and I remember a fellow teacher saying that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center.



I remember thinking, "that's why I don't like to fly, I wonder where the World Trade Center is?"



Then it all came out. The horrible crash, the building collapsing, the Pentegon attack, the plane in Pennsylvania...I didn't think it was going to end.

I frantically called Adam who was in college and BEGGED him to come home. I called my dad and begged him NOT to go to work. He couldn't. SOMEONE HAD TO PROTECT US. Parents were picking up their children left and right. I just knew the world was ending.

I went home and on the way stopped for gas. Everyone else was too, I thought they surely knew something that I didn't, so I better stop too. The traffic was horrible. People were crying, looking distraught. I didn't quite get the picture, I had yet to SEE the news. Just heard the radio.

When I got home, mom was as big of a mess as I was, which doesn't happen. Ever. She was watching the events on t.v. I hadn't yet had the opportunity to see the footage (at the time, we didn't have good internet at school-if any.) I was crying asking mom if we were going to be okay. She stated she didn't know, and we should go to church. So we did.

We sat with others, praying, for the unknown. What a vulnerable feeling.

I hope that in my lifetime, in my kids lifetime, in their kids lifetime, nothing like that happens again. EVER!
On the news this morning they showed the front cover of a newspaper, that had President Obama and a quote-"Today, we are all New Yorkers" (or something like that.) While I know that it happened in New York, Washington D.C. and Pennsylvania. It effected all of US some way. Because we are ALL AMERICANS!.

Maybe it is eery to hash out all those feelings again, maybe it isn't. Either way, I felt the need today. I know that I will NEVER forget.

~Chat Soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment