Saturday, January 23, 2010

Cool.

My new insulin pump...
With glucose sensor...

So I have been on an insulin pump for the better part of 10 years. I have been diabetic for a very long time. Since my diagnosis, things have changed in the world of diabetes tremendously. Although there has yet to be a cure (I'm waiting very patiently) there have been so many great advances. One of which I have been introduced to this week.

I received a new pump. It not only is a pump that delivers insulin through a small catheter type set up that is in my belly, but it has a GLUCOSE SENSOR! In non diabetic terms, it tracks my blood sugar. It tells me if it is rising, falling, or holding steady. It alerts me if it is jetting up at a high rate and I need to figure out why, or that it's crashing to the floor and I may be there soon if I don't take it's hint.

It's super cool.

I have heard mixed reviews about it.
It isn't flawless.
You still have to check your blood sugar 3-4 times a day to make sure the sensor is reading the right stuff. But seriously, when I think back to my dad having to check his glucose by peeing on a little paper strip (lovely) and then trying to match the color to the right 'average' of numbers that it matched up with....this is A.W.E.S.O.M.E.!

So, if you are reading this, and are on the pump (Dad or Aunt Linda) check back with me soon, you may want to consider it. ;)
~Chat soon!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment