Saturday, July 24, 2010

fillin' buckets...

I'm always looking for new ideas in my classroom. The past few years, I've not done well with finding new things. Just felt blah.
A co-workers daughter turned me onto this book.
It's teaching kids, er people, the idea that being nice goes a LONG way.
I have had my fair share, as most, of people that just aren't nice.
My personality lends itself to the sensitive side. So I spend a decent amount of time trying to 'fix' the idea that they aren't nice.
Are they not nice because they don't like ME?
Because I did something wrong?
Because someone did something to them?
BLECK! It's a time suck.
I read this book and thought...VIOLA! This is what my students need to hear. At age 8. They must know that a smile is an amazing thing. A genuine look in the eye. Even a vague compliment. WOWSERS!
I admit, I think I can overdo on the bucket filling, but it hasn't killed me yet!
The book is so simple yet so true.
It's unreal. Very poignant.
I read it to the fam today.
Now Anne is running around double checking that everyone's buckets are full. :)
If you get a chance, and have 7 bucks to blow. BUY IT!
For no other reason but...NICE MATTERS!
~Chat soon!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I hope you enjoy filling your students' buckets too. Keep me posted and let me know how you are using the concept in your class. I look forward to being a bucket filling teacher!!

    ReplyDelete