Thursday, June 11, 2009

Peer pressure


Funny stuff-Anne started dance class on Tuesday evening. She LOVES to dance. It is her favorite thing to do (besides dress up, play Barbies pretend...you get my drift!). We decided to go with the community center approach instead of a studio to see first if she was interested in it at all. I was very nervous about doing all of this 'right'. So I called the center and asked about the appropriate dress, if we needed a leotard and shoes etc. I was pleased to hear that it was up to us. The summer session is laid back etc. No worries the man said "tennis shoes and comfy clothes are fine." So I picked out a basic little skirt out of her closet and a pair of tennis shoes. She looked cute enough.



We walk into the building, my eyes immediately fall on 7-10 little girls dressed in leotards, filmy skirts, tights, and DANCE SHOES. My heart sank. I mean really sank. Anne didn't say a word and was drawn to the toys and observing the others while we waited. The first half of the class is ballet. She did great, followed directions did the little steps they taught, almost seemed like a natural. Then came the second half. TAP. The instructor explained if they did not have shoes, they should just hug their moms and go back. So we did that. Anne proceeded with the class, looking like she was having the time of her life. I even managed to score a couple pictures.



The class came to a close. The girls paraded out, Anne still smiling told "Miss Sandy" goodbye. "Good", I thought, "I'm glad she liked it." Then she saw me...out of nowhere and I mean NOWHERE she burst into tears. She blubbered out that 'EVERYONE HAS TAP SHOES AND I WANT TAP SHOES, I JUST HAVE EXERCISE SHOES...THEY CLICK WITH THEIR SHOES AND I CAN'T CLICK!" The whole time she was professing her feelings she was VERY LOUD! I mean LOUD the kind of loud that you just want to stick them under your shirt and run! "Oh dear, what now?" I thought to myself. "Luckily the teacher calmly walked over and explained that there was a box of used shoes and I could buy a pair for four bucks. PERFECT! I kept my fingers crossed and walked to the box. There, looking right up at me, were a pair of shiny (sort of) black tap shoes. Anne was in heaven and I was back to good mom standing in the eyes of Anne.



Got my first taste of peer pressure as a momma. Have to admit. Wasn't the greatest feeling. GULP!



~Chat soon

No comments:

Post a Comment