Sunday, March 18, 2012

a prayer. *updated*

spring view. courtesy of the kitchen window.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.



in my parents room, growing up, this prayer hung printed on a plastic plaqu ish type wall hanging.
it hung above my parents clothes hamper. (now that i think of it, maybe i should get one over my hamper too...maybe it would help my laundry issue!)

i would read it. often. and not have a clue what it meant.  not a clue.
then i got older, much older, like maybe married older, and it all sunk it.
it has become my mantra.  a little secret i have.  i say that prayer often.
sometimes in my own version, which sounds something similar to ....
uh, God?  i'm really having trouble getting over this/letting it go...
toss me a life vest?
and usually it works.  He calms me, or fixes it, or offers me an answer or a way to conquer it.
it's a powerful few lines. 
as i get older, i feel like i get better at figuring out the things or accept the things i can not change, and am slowly getting brave enough to change other things, (or change myself so i can accept them)
nothing major, just stuff.  like, well, storms or the dentist.  getting over things people say, hurt feelings, worries about others, worrying that the girls will get diabetes,  letting go that my house isn't clean, or laundry isn't done, or that we thought we would be moving, and now we are changing our mind, and taking a break from the moving idea which is the responsible thing to do, but maybe not the fun thing to do...or the fact that i/we would love to have more children, but it's just not in the cards for us.  and how that pains me, sometimes badly, often daily.  but i'm starting to accept it.  
accepting is easy, it's the changing part that is tough. 

and with spring, and the warm breeze, and the sunshine, i think it makes this prayer just a bit easier to say...and smile after saying it!

chat soon!

 DISCLAIMER.....
now that it is the morning, (i posted this last night) i just wanted to CLARIFY that the things i listed as things i may refer to my 'prayer' about are trivial.  truly trivial.  but they can be on a persons mind.  know what i mean?  i am in no way in a sad state of affairs.  or in a constant state of worry or fear.  just simply stating that once you learn that prayer, it really is a lot easier to get through stuff.  really.  that's all i meant! :)  
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment