Friday, May 21, 2010

In awe...

Adam and I have been spending a lot of time with Anne in the evening. After Kate is in bed, and quietness has fallen over the house we lay in bed and talk, listen to her think, and watch in wonder as she reads to us.
Yes sir. You read it right.
Read.To.Us.
She is five.
We have read to her almost every night for as long as she has been alive. Yet, we have never talked about how to read. Formally. That is.
The other week. There we were. Laying in the bed. Reading.
Anne casually says. Can I read to you?
Sure. Why not.
I imagined that she would give us a nice story about what is happening in the pictures (which I realize IS a form of reading...)Not so. She READ to us.
Plain as day.
THIS IS MAT.
That is what she read.
I almost cried. I couldn't believe it.
I was so not believing it that I found those words on another page thinking she had just memorized the page.
NOPE.
She read it again.
I have been a teacher for almost 12 years now.
I teach 3rd grade. I see kids ready ALL DAY LONG. BUT they usually come to me with the blocks already laid of their reading foundation. I don't often get to see the actual foundation being built.
It's amazing, simply amazing.
It makes me look forward to every thing else we will see her develop.
That's all for now...gotta get reading. ;)
~chat soon

No comments:

Post a Comment