Monday, August 30, 2010

Carnival & Carnies

So this past weekend was the first annual CCLS school carnival.
I can't remember the last time I had been to a carnival.
The school talked it up, big time, for fundraising purposes.
It is supposed to eliminate the sale of cookie dough, wrapping paper, coupon books etc. COOL!Anne had been talking about it for days. She couldn't wait.
The day had finally come.
We piled into the car and arrived at church.
After a quick observation, I noticed the severity of the Carnie's (you know, the carnival ride people...). I had often heard of them, but don't know if I really have ever seen one-in real life.
Okay, so after I recovered from that...
We got settled, figured out our game plan and went on our way.
We enjoyed games, cool beverages, games, maybe another beverage, and finally it was time for the RIDES!
There was your usual, scrambler, cars on a track type thing, Ferris wheels, rocket type thing that shoots into the air, whips you around and then lands back down toward the parking lot...(barf!). As you may have read in this post, I'm not so hot on rides. But, I do secretly LOVE the Scrambler.
I digress-Anne took a couple spins on the cars, and decided to kick it up a notch and we headed toward the Scrambler. I told her I would go, to which Adam, said, 'No, you wait here, I'll go.' Alrighty-no arguments from me...
Fast forward to us waiting in the line-two 'Carnies' light their cigarettes, grab a wrench, no lie, that was as tall as Kate and start tightening up the bolts on one set of cars.
Adam's eyes met mine and we both tried to dismiss it as 'maintenance'. (or that is what the nice Pastor's wife tried to comfort us with)
They got on, Anne LOVED it. Adam, endured it for Anne's cause, but mentioned it wasn't as fun as he originally had planned on. (something about the weight of a grown man, being in a tin like structure, was just unsettling for him)
We bounced in the bounce house, and then Anne decided it was time for the Ferris Wheel...
I interjected I was solely at the carnival for picture taking purposes.
So, she asked Adam, who responded, much to my surprised that he would go with her.
Once again, we waited in a line, visiting with the others, sidetracking Kate with juice boxes and so on...
It was time.
They stepped up.
Sat down and were locked in.
I was nervous for them.
But, Adam gave me a half smile and Anne was just oozing with excitement.
I was chit chatting with a fellow parent when I noticed out of the corner of my eye, Adam frantically waving at me.
I smiled and waved and continued talking...
Again, he is waving, but not in a kind way.
I mouth WHAT?
He mouths GET ME OFF OF HERE.
HAHAHAH. I laugh and wave back.
I giggled to the parent I was talking to that 'he says he needs off...'
I look back, he is yelling GET ME OFF OF HERE. NOW!
I said, HOW?
He says-TELL THE GUY I NEED OFF.
So I chuck the juice box to the parent, tell them to watch over Kate and trudge off to confront the Carnie.
Me-Excuse me, excuse me????
Carnie-Uh, Yeah?
Me- The car, um, I don't know, about the fourth one up, with the guy in the black shirt and the little blonde girl-they need off, NOW!
Carnie-Which car is it, babe?
Me-(nearing puke stage, 1/2 for the carnie calling me babe-1/2 for poor Adam...)
THE FOURTH CAR.
Carnie-Uh, sure, no problem.
With that he TRAMPS on the stick that makes the Ferris wheel go faster or slower and sends them UP AND AROUND. ( i had envisioned them backing the thing up just a few cars and they escaping from the living hell Adam was in.)
The Ferris wheel came to a stop, they unlocked Adam and Anne, and we proceeded toward the cold beverage stand. ;)
Anne only said once that 'she thought that was a short ride'. Mentioning later that 'maybe when she was older, she could do it again.'
Poor thing. (both of them)
Adam and I have been together the better part of twenty years and I seriously don't think I have one good story on him, as of this weekend, I think that may have changed!
Even after the drama of the Ferris wheel and having to confront a carnie, we had a GREAT time.
~chat soon!
p.s.-adam said he would sell 1,000 dollars worth of wrapping paper and coupon books in order to NEVER ride the Ferris wheel again. I'm STILL belly laughing!

















No comments:

Post a Comment