Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A fun little story

So yesterday, after work I headed toward the babysitters house to get the girls.
She is a wonderful, wonderful lady. Debbie always has a story that cracks me up about a scenerio that the day had. Today was different. Debbie seemed to have a heavy mind. She said she had to tell me something. (room gets fuzzy) I held my breath wondering if Anne had an accident, or if Kate hit someone...This is how it played out:

Debbie-Sara, Anne said something today.
Me-Okay
D-I asked her to start cleaning up the toys before nap...
Me-Okay
D-She looked right at me and said "AW DAMN IT!"
Me-UHHHHHH.....room gets REALLY fuzzy.

I immediately think that she has enlightened three two year olds on new vocabulary words, she has started a dictionary of all vulgarity she has heard in the past 4 years and is ready to just spout off at any inopportune moment, etc.

As any mother does, I started right into apologies and explanations. Debbie reassured me that it wasn't a big deal, I shouldn't worry about...have a nice Thanksgiving.

...gulp. I didn't know what I was going to say or do. I did the best thing I could think of and just reasoned with her. When I asked Anne who she heard this word from, she said, 'her brother'. This brother of hers is pretend, and does lots of stuff with her. Usually positive. Once I do find this brother, he and I are going to have a nice chat.

As we drove home, we talked some more about the situation. I would have to tell daddy etc. Of course she wept, literally wept, about the thought of telling Adam. In her 4 years of life, I can probably count on 3 fingers how many times he has even RAISED his voice at her, let alone got mad. So I was a little confused about the sudden drama.

We finally got home. She was very gun-shy as she saw Adam (I guess she thinks he has E.S.P.) he asked what was wrong and she just sank-she said out loud "I'm so sorry, I disappointed you." OH FOR PETES SAKE. That would make the coldest of hearts melt...

On to nigh time...I sank into bed, mortified at the potty-mouth I have apparently raised, and already tired from the excitement building about all the weeks festivities that were on the list.

4:30am rolls around. I hear this ODD sound coming from one of the bedrooms, was it a dog? No. Was it a seal? No. It was Kate, with what sounded like CROUP!

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccccccceeee.

Assess the situation, she has a low grade temp and sounds as if she swallowed a pack of lit cigarettes. I calm her down and head back to bed.

Once again, from zero to panic.

How would we handle Thanksgiving dinner(s)? Would everyone understand that the other parent had to stay home with the sick one? Would the dishes I signed up to prepare still be okay if I just sent them along....????? Would we just cop out and make a meatloaf? Oh how great the imagination is at 4:30am.

Roll onto 7am. Everyone is fever free, bright eyed and bushy tailed. As if it never happened. A hint of a horse voice, but that is it. Really?!

So on this Thanksgiving Eve, I am very thankful that Kate is well, Anne is so with-it, that she even picks up 'bad things' and that I have the family I do to love and support me no matter the hour of the day.

This was a long one. But worth it...maybe?
~Chat soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment