Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Not typical...

I begin this post with an apology.
You'll figure out why as you read.

I have type 1 diabetes.
I have had it since I have been 7...in other words a very LONG time.
I have been on the insulin pump for 9 years the end of this month.
Usually, I am in good control, but on an occasion there is a hiccup.
Well, today was the hiccups of hiccups.
My blood sugar maxed out at 450. (normal being between 80-120) I'm not sure why. (the mystery of the pump from time to time)
It was almost lunch time. I got my students to recess and started troubleshooting. No answers.
I took correction doses and waited, and waited, and waited.
For those of you that aren't diabetic, the feeling of a very high blood sugar is the worst hangover feeling you have or have not ever had. Nauseous, headache, fuzzy brain, incredibly sleepy, etc.
It is not a fun experience, especially at work.
I picked my kids up and was still waiting for the blood sugar to drop.
Tick, tick, tick.
I was testing every 5-10 minutes. Very foolish, but I am both stubborn and impatient (not a good combo.) and I had to know if it was dropping or was I dealing with something else.
Finally, about 45 minutes after taking a shot, it dropped, a hefty 250 points to be exact.
Not exactly a grand feeling either, but I was thankful, it was correcting and I was going to be feeling better fast.

There really is no rhyme or reason to this entry, except to verify that I use this truly for a living journal and today was rough.

It also proves that the Walk For Diabetes must continue, and hopefully there will be very little time before we hear the wonderful announcement that we can toss our pumps, tubes, vials and all the stuff out the WINDOW! :) *thank you again for all the supporters to this years walk!*

Another thing, I don't usually talk about my diabetes, if I do, it is usually humorous, or informative, never whiny or self-pity. So I apologize for saying all this today. I am in no way seeking some one's pity...just venting. If anything, asking for a prayer that those scientist keep working their tail feathers off...the cure will be here soon. So very soon.

~chat soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment