Thursday, April 15, 2010

flattered...


I got this letter in my mailbox at work.
It tells me I was nominated for an Apple Award.
Apple Awards are a way to express gratitude to staff in our school district.
I have been nominated several times, but never by a parent of a student. I have never received the actual award. That is OK I believe that just getting nominated is an amazing feeling.
This year the letter came from a parent. I was flattered to think that people actually *like* me and appreciate the job that is being done.
That sounds weird doesn't it? Let me explain.
My job, as a teacher, comes pretty natural to me. Most of the time I am completely in my comfort zone and having fun while doing it all. Its just my job. I love it. I don't expect red carpet ceremonies or trumpets to sound as I walk in the door. I just do what I'm supposed to do. Connect with the kids. Come up with good things to learn and have fun. I don't make a lot of money doing it, but the smiles from my students, crayon scratched pictures saying cute little sentences about being #1 Teacher, make it worth while. Even better, when someone outside of Room 20 thinks things are good. AND I hear about it.
This was a lot about ME. Sorry. Just wanted to share my excitement. It feels good to be loved, doesn't it?

4 comments:

  1. Go Saree, go Saree, it's your birthday, go Saree! :) Can you hear me singing it? Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saree, This is AWESOME!! SOOOOOOO Proud of YOU!! Being a Teacher should come NATURAL to you, you have been Working it since you were in the 4th GRADE or earlier?? Right Suz?? Still have some "pretend work sheets" that you two played with :) KEEP DOING WHAT YOUR DOING!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not write your nomination...but I would be first in line to SECOND that nomination.
    You are wonderful....(that was NOT sarcasm)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!! I have never been nominated for a district award but I agree that just the nomination would be enough to make me cry.
    Last year I was nominater for a Franklin County Hero award-I cried for days (I came in 2nd place). What am I talking about , I still cry about that, I have the letter hanging in my room and I read it every morning!
    I am glad I got to learn from you!!! I use several techniques that I stole from you in my room!

    ReplyDelete