Tuesday, March 9, 2010

40 bags...

So awhile back I wrote about getting rid of a bag of something every day of lent. I proceeded full steam ahead. Totally excited. Then I was worried about being defeated by my distract ability.

Guess what? I HAVE KEPT IT UP!

I can't believe it.

I must admit, I have skipped a few days here and there, but have made up for it on the weekends or evenings that I have had more time.
It is unbelievable the amount of things I am eliminating.

Trash, broken things, things that we have kept because, well, we don't know why.

IT IS GREAT.

But, in all honesty, it is slightly embarrassing and humbling.

I am guilty. Totally guilty. I find things on sale, really cheap and get them. Because someday, maybe I could use it. Or buy a pair of pants for the girls because it is $1.17 and what kid doesn't need a pair of knock around pants...

So I am learning, that a) I need to stay away from the clearance section-unless, I need a pair of $1.17 pants. b) I need to purge more. It is so much easier to keep things nice and neat when there is less to keep track of (duh!) c) i am going to work on saying 'no I don't think we need that right now,' when an all to innocent family member or friend wants to hand down something that they don't 'need' any longer.

I have also come up with an idea-I don't think it is my idea, but an idea none the less.
I am going to pack up toys each season, and put them away.
In a safe place.
Then when the season switches, take some out, put some away.
I think the girls will have much more appreciation for what they have.
Adam and I both noticed we just have too much for them to use all the time. I am a firm believer that we don't have as much as some kids do, which is great, in my opinion.
But, we have too much to play with all at once.
So that is that.
What do you think about it? Anyone have another idea? Leave a comment if you have some advice on toy control, or patrol! :)
I don't have a play room for the kids, so toys in the bedrooms are what we have to do. I also converted our foyer coat closet into a play closet during this whole 40 bag process which has been working perfectly.

~Chat soon!

1 comment:

  1. 3 guess'es,,,,1st 2 don't count :)March 9, 2010 at 8:32 PM

    Keep up the good work and when Easter comes,,,,,,,I have a basement that could use a "40 days and 40 nights clean up!!" :)

    ReplyDelete