Tuesday, March 2, 2010

rocket science?


Because of my occupation, I see some strange stuff. I really do. I see things that people would flip over, if I told them about. It's not necessarily bad, just at times unbelievable.

Today for instance, I had a deep conversation with a parent who is struggling with her daughters behavior. She was really groping for help. Searching for reasons and answers. Not sure what she was doing right or wrong. It was disheartening to say the least...
It brought to light that many parents/families really.don't.get.it.
Parenting is an overwhelming job, task, duty. But simple all in the same breath. In my opinion you don't need to drown your kiddos in every latest fad, or technology based hand held, make them quiet all the time game. Again, in my humble opinion, YOU MUST DROWN THEM WITH love, affection, emotional stability, routines, and did I mention love? It takes just a few minutes, a hug, a quick game, eye contact, a giggle, including in a wierdo task like making fruit kabobs, simply acknowledging that, that little munckin is important to you... to show them the respect that we as parents so often demand. It is a mutual thing, right folks?

I was saddened by the conversation with the parent, but also somewhat comforted thinking that my chicks are in good hands, most days. I'm not perfect, Adam isn't perfect, we lose our patience, and may very well not give 100%, 100% of the time.
Today I focus on the moments that make my heart swell as a momma and make my kids smile ear to ear, or just purr with satisfaction like little kittens.

After all that, I was reassured that I love my job-both of them, as a teacher and a mom!

~Chat soon!

2 comments:

  1. Well said my Dear.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what is important... you know what is truly valuable in life... that is why your "chicks" are such AMAZING little people !
    They get it from their mother !

    ReplyDelete